Things you can do in Muharram al-Haram
I know it seems late, but at least its better than never. These are what anyone could do in this blessed month. Points quoted from Al-Futuhat al-Haqqaniyyah of Shaykh 'Adnan Kabbani.
1. Narrated from Ibn al-'Abbas r.a. that the Prophet s.a.w. said, "Whoever fasts the last day of Dhul Hijjah and the first day of Muharram, he completes a whole year's worth of fasting in that previous year, and Allah gives him penance for fifty  years."
Meaning, fast two  days: last day of Dhul Hijjah + first day of Muharram = complete year's fasting and penance for 50 years.
2. Narrated from Anas r.a. that the Prophet s.a.w. said, "Whoever fasts the first Friday of Muharram Allah will forgive his preceding sins, and whoever fasts three days of Muharram - Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, Allah will write for him worship and prayers for nine hundred  years."
Meaning, fast first Friday [one day's worth] = preceding sins forgiven.
Fast three  days [Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of any week in Muharram] = 900 yrs worship.
3. Narrated from 'A`ishah Umm al-Mu'minin r.a. that the Prophet s.a.w. said, "Whoever fasts the first ten days up till 'Ashura, he will inherit the Paradise al-Firdaus."
 Meaning, fast first ten  days = get Jannat al-Firdaus.
4. Fasting of 'Ashura is Sunnah Mu`akkadah, that which is highly desired. When the Prophet s.a.w. saw the Jews of Madinah fasting on that day, he asked them for what it was. They told him it was the day Musa a.s. led the Bani Isra`il from Pharaoh. The Prophet s.a.w. said, "I have more rights with Musa than you Jews." So he fasted that day and ordered for its observance. This was part of a longer narration from 'A`ishah r.a.
5. The Prophet said, "Whoever fasts the 'Ashura, Allah will write for him a thousand  wishes and a thousand years of age, and will grant him the reward of a thousand martyrs, and will write for him the reward of Isma`il a.s., and writes for him seventy  palaces in paradise, and makes his flesh forbidden from the hellfire."
Meaning, fast on 'Ashura = Allah grants 1000 wishes and grants you an age of a 1000 yrs.
6. In another Hadith the Prophet s.a.w. said, "Whoever fasts the 'Ashura, he will be granted the reward of a thousand angels. And whoever recites "Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad" a thousand  times on the day of 'Ashura, Allah will glance at him with the Eyes of Mercy, and will write him from amongst the Siddiqqin [The Truthful]."
 You may read it 1000 times in succession at any time of the Day of 'Ashura, or pray 100 sunnah rak'at, reciting 10 times Al-Ikhlas after the Fatihah in each rak'ah.
7. In another Hadith the Prophet s.a.w. said, "Distinguish yourselves from the Jews by fasting either the day before 'Ashura or the day after it as well."
 Apart from fasting 'Ashura which is the 10th of Muharram, fast also on either the 9th or the 11th.
8. Whoever prays in 'Ashura four  sunnah rak'at on the day of 'Ashura, where after the Fatihah in each rak'ah recites "Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad" eleven  times, Allah will forgive his sins of fifty years, and will build for him a pulpit from light. And whoever takes the sunnah shower on 'Ashura he will not suffer sickness in that year except the illness of death, and whoever wears the Kuhl on his eyes on 'Ashura he will not suffer sickness on that year.
 This is usually done during time of Duha on the day of 'Ashura. Make intention to pray 4 rak'at (like Zuhr, 'Asr, and 'Isha prayer with 1 salam) Sunnah Yaum al-'Ashura. After the Fatihah in each rak'ah, recite Al-Ikhlas 11 times. Alhamdulillah, I did with Mawlana Shaykh Nazim and the murids in Lefke before.
9. Du'a of 'Ashura: Recite "Hasbun Allahu wa ni'mal wakil, ni'mal Maula wa ni'man Nasir" [70 x], and recite: "Hasbun Allahu mil-al Mizan wa muntaha-l 'ilma, wa mablaghal rida, wa zinatul 'arsh, la malja-a wa la manja min Allahi illa ilaihi. Subhan Allahi 'adada-sh-shaf`i wal 'arshi, wa 'adada kalimati Rabbina-t taammati kulliha. As-aluka-s Salamata bi Rahmatika Ya Arham Ar-Rahimin, wa la hawla wa la quwwata illa billahil 'Aliyyil 'Azhim. Wa huwa hasbii wa ni'mal wakil, ni'mal Mawla wa ni'man Nasir. Wa Sallallahu 'ala Sayyidina Muhammadin wa 'ala alihi wa sahbihi ajma'in." [7 x].
10. About an hour before the Adhan for Maghrib towards 'Ashura, sit facing the Qiblah and finish the daily Adab of Tariqah. And then make Tawassul with Sayyidina al-Husayn and the martyrs of Karbala, where on that day they died Shahid with Sayyidina al-Husayn and those who were with him, may Allah's favours be upon them. After breaking your fast dedicate the blessings and rewards of your fast and daily Awrad upon the Prophet s.a.w. for the oceans secrets that lie open on the 14th of Muharram.
 Make also Tawassul to the Prophet s.a.w. and the Mashayikh of the Naqshbandi Tariqah, and then to Sayyidina al-Husayn and the Shuhada of Karbala. The names of the Shuhada of Karbala that is used to be recited is in the Futuhat.
11. Muharram is also a month of great importance to Naqshbandi. Our Master and Imam of the Tariqah Shah Naqshband q.s. was born on the 14th of this month. It is thus important and most desired that the Ahl of the Tariqah congregate on the eve of this holy day for Khatm and Dhikr, and read the Mawlid al-Nabi s.a.w. in dedication to Mawlana Shah Naqshband, and also reading excerpts from his saintly life.
 It is hence of utmost importance that we must hold a Haul of Shah Naqshband on that evening.
12. It is a tradition and practice of Mawlana Sultan al-Awliya' Shaykh 'Abdullah al-Daghistani q.s. to make Qurban of two sheep on the day of 'Ashura and distribute the meat to the poor and needy to the members of the Tariqah. He also did this on the birthday of Shah Naqshband q.s.